Skip navigation

You are here: Cayman Islands Department of Vehicle and Drivers’ Licensing > Drivers Licensing > Categories of Drivers Licence > Motorcycle Licence

  • Regulation 6, Traffic Regulation, 2012

Licence to ride a motorcycle (below 125cc) (above 125cc)

“Freedom!” is how many bike riders describe the feelings associated with owning and riding a motor bike. To this we say great! However, please remember that with this freedom comes responsibility!

Whether it’s riding your bike only on the weekends or having one as your main mode of transportation, you are required to prove your capability of maintaining control at all times under various conditions.

There are three different categories (groups) that specify the type (cc) of motor cycle that you’re licenced to ride. They are Group “0”; for mopeds/motor scooters, Group “1”; motor cycles (including mopeds) up to 125cc and Group “1A” for motor cycles over 125cc.

The age qualification for driving a motor cycle with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 cubic centimeters is the same as for a motor car, station wagon or rental car, i.e., 17 years of age.

Upon successfully passing the written portion of the driver’s exam and paying the prescribed fee of CI$60.00, you can obtain a learners to ride Group (s) 0 or 1.

Once you’re confident in your ability to show that control can be maintained, schedule an appointment with a driving examiner to go through the practical portion of the exam. Remember, your ability to control your motor cycle will determine whether you are successful in obtaining a full drivers’ licence. There is a fee of $50.00 for the practical and $40.00 for the upgrade.

Thinking of upgrading to a bigger bike? If so, you will be required to apply for a Group 1A licence. You must be at least 19 years of age. Once you have held your Group 1 for at least one years. You must first apply for a group 1A learners' licence which cost $60.00 and book a road exam which cost $50.00. After passing the practical exam you will be required to pay $40.00 for the upgrade. You may apply for the 1A by visiting us at any of our convenient locations and scheduling an appointment with one of our Driving Examiners.You may also produce to the examiner proof that you have held a full Group 1 or 1A licence for a motor cycle of an engine capacity exceeding or not exceeding 125 cubic centimetres for a period not exceeding one year prior to his application and successfully complete a basic rider-safety course approved by the Director and pay an upgrade fee of $40.00.

Motor cycles over 125 cc are generally larger in size and weight, than those of 125 cc and less. Therefore you will be required to again show your ability in maintaining control and balance.

Remember, safe driving is everyone’s responsibility.

Last Updated: 2012-09-18