You are here: Cayman Islands Department of Vehicle and Drivers’ Licensing > Drivers Licensing > Categories of Drivers Licence > Provisional Drivers Licence
Provisional Drivers Licence
- Sections 23 – 42, Traffic Law, 2011, Regulations 7 & 8, Traffic Regulations, 2012
Provisional Drivers Licence
A learner licence, allows an individual to operate a motor vehicle on the public roads under the direct supervision of someone who has held a full Cayman Islands driver’s licence for at least one year for that class of vehicle.
Remember, “L” plates must be displayed on the front and rear of a vehicle, when it is being operated by a person who holds a learner licence.
Key points to remember:
- Individuals who are 17 years and older will be required to make an appointment to sit the written portion of the drivers exam. This can be done by visiting any our locations and paying an examination fee of CI$25.00. (Remember to bring along a valid I.D for proof of age, e.g. a passport)
- The written portion of the driver’s exam comprises a multiple choice section relating to the Traffic Laws and the Road Code of the Cayman Islands. A score of 80% or higher is considered a pass.
- On successfully passing the written exam you will have your photo taken and a learner licence will be produced for you. First, proof of your exam pass must be shown to a Licensing Officer who will collect CI$60.00 to issue for the cost of the learner licence.
- Remember, your learner licence is valid for six months, with the option to renew for a further six months. Sometime within this twelve-month period you should schedule an appointment with a Driving Examiner to sit the final portion of the exam. To do this, visit us at the nearest location, schedule an appointment and pay the examination fee of CI$50.00.
- It is important to be punctual for your appointment with the Driving Examiner. Arriving late may lead to your appointment being delayed or cancelled. The actual driving exam may take between 25-30 minutes, depending on traffic conditions, weather etc...
- Do you intend to use a vehicle belonging to a relative or friend? If so, you will be required to show proof of your eligibility to drive the vehicle, whether in the form of a cover note or policy from the insurance company; stating that you are covered under the vehicle owner’s policy.
- After your driving test and upon returning to our office, the Driving Examiner will inform you as to whether you were successful, or otherwise. Success will earn you the privilege of holding a full drivers’ licence for that category of vehicle. A Certificate of Competence will be issued to you, by the Driving Examiner of which you will present to a Licensing Officer.
- The exact fee that will be charged for your full drivers’ licence will be determined on a prorated base, i.e., the period of time that has passed since your last birthday and the duration period you would like your driver’s licence to be valid for (3 or 5 years). A full drivers licence’ for 3 years will cost CI$75 and for 5 years CI$125.00, for a groups 0, 1, 2 or 3.
- Should you fail the written or driving portion of the exam, you will be required to resit the examination.
Last Updated: 2012-09-18