For a better view on The Department of Vehicle and Drivers' Licensing (DVDL), Update Your Browser.

Heavy Equipment & Special Vehicles Licence

License to operate Heavy Equipment/Special Vehicle

Are you thinking of operating some form of heavy equipment? Whether a dump truck, backhoe, bulldozer, forklift or any other  type of special vehicle defined in the Act, you are required to hold a group 4 drivers’ license.

In the Traffic Act, (2021 Revision) the term ‘Special Vehicle’ is defined as a vehicle not constructed or adapted for use on roads, having motive power and designed to be used, with or without accessories, for construction, road maintenance, engineering or agricultural work, and also includes - 

  • Forklift;
  • front-loader; or
  • track-laying or wheeled vehicle.

While not intended for road use, a special vehicle can be driven on the road provided that no material damage is caused to the road and the vehicle travels no more than a half of a mile in distance; permission must first be obtained from the Commissioner of Police to do so. Alternatively, special vehicles can be shipped or transported via a trailer to their intended location.

If you are a holder of a current full driver’s licence, the addition of a group 4 is fairly straight forward. Visit any one of our convenient locations and fill out the required form  (T.R 14 Form).

Once this form is completed, please present to any of our Licensing Officers who will be more than happy to assist you in finalizing this process.

A Licensing Officer will assist you by:

  1. Adding the additional group onto your current licence record (as a learner)
  2. Direct you to a Customer Service Officer (who will issue you a learner driving licence for a group 4); and,
  3. Schedule an appointment with one of our Driving Examiners (Required)

Your learner drivers’ licence will be valid for six months; within this period you must schedule an appointment with a Driving Examiner to sit the practical portion of the exam before renewing your provisional licence.  Remember, ‘L’ plates must be displayed on the front and rear of your vehicle, when being operated.

‘L’ plates must be displayed on the front and rear of your vehicle, when being operated. The “L” plates should be a red “L” on a white background within the dimensions specified in the Traffic Regulations (2017 Revision).

Associated with the addition of this, or any group, is a nominal fee of CI$60.00 along with an additional CI$50.00 for the appointment with a Driving Examiner.

Will you be using a vehicle belonging to a family member, friend or business during the examination? If so, you will be required to show proof of your eligibility to drive the vehicle. This must be in the form of a cover note/certificate or policy of Insurance from the insurance company stating that you are covered under the owner’s policy.

After completing the examination, the Driving Examiner will inform you as to whether or not you were successful. Success in passing will now afford you the privilege of having a full group 4 licence. A Certificate of Competence will be issued to you by the Driving Examiner which you will present to a Licensing Officer, who will in-turn collect CI$50.00 from you to cover the cost of having a new driver’s licence card issued, which will state that you are licenced to operate all vehicles under a group 4 category. Remember, the Certificate of Competence is not a driver’s licence and is valid for only four (4) days.

Please note that a group 3 licence includes group 2, trucks not exceeding 33,000 lbs and omnibuses not exceeding a seating capacity of forty persons in addition to the driver; towing a trailer not exceeding 10,000 lbs except Groups 1 and 1A.

A group 4 includes all vehicles except Groups 1 and 1A.

If unsuccessful, you are required to reschedule an appointment with a Driving Examiner.

Licence Renewal Requirements for Senior Citizens

For Senior Citizens, a medical certificate should be submitted to determine whether a renewal should be granted.

Learn More